Subject lead - Louise Jarmain
Link governor - Patrick Weld
Our Curriculum Intent
At St Andrew's Church School, we believe that by teaching children the key skills of the Personal, Social, Health and Economic (PSHE) curriculum alongside Emotional Literacy and Relationship and Sex Education (RSE), we are developing the children's capacity to learn across the curriculum and improve their life chances, helping them to cope in the wider world and face all the demands which this brings so that they can truly live out our school vision of John 10:10, 'Living life in all its fullness'.
PSHE and RSE is taught in a child focused and developmentally appropriate way. It uses both the approaches of direct and indirect teaching
Each year the children will set the ground rules, ensuring that all discussions take place in an accepting and respectful manner.
They will learn about and discuss
- different family structures and how to value them
- how to create and maintain positive friendships
- how to develop safe and respectful relationships
- how to promote good health and wellbeing
- simple first aid
- how to make independent choices
- operate safely in our digital world
- citizenship (British Values)
- economic wellbeing
- preparing for transition
In RSE they learn about and understand the changes that take place during puberty.